Wastewater & Septic FAQs
AREAS OF OPERATION
We predominantly supply aerated wastewater treatment systems throughout NSW, ACT and Victoria. However, we have built custom wastewater systems across Australia and internationally (New Caledonia and Alaska in the United States) for environmentally sensitive sites where bespoke designs were needed.
We offer our septic maintenance service in the Newcastle, Maitland, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Hunter Valley, Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie and Central Coast regions of NSW only.
SALES & INSTALLATION
Yes, our Garden Master Septic Tanks are Aussie made by us! Our factory is in Wodonga Victoria where we manufacture our water treatment parts and septic tanks. Making own products means that we can ensure everything we supply has been made to our exacting standards and thoroughly tested before being passed on to consumers.
Society is increasingly demanding a pollution-free lifestyle, and there are justified and growing concerns regarding the long term effects of waste disposal. Outdated septic tanks with adsorption trenches or expensive pump out services have now been replaced with a superior solution called Aerated Wastewater Treatment Systems (AWTS). The Garden Master “Elite” System is a proven AWTS which offers real advantages in that it accepts all wastewater from the bathroom, toilet, kitchen and laundry and processes it into clear odour free water that is irrigated onto the garden.
An AWTS is an Aerated Wastewater Treatment System which is an on-site sewage treatment plant. The wastewater flows through a series of treatments and disinfectant processes, and then this treated water is distributed on lawns and gardens via irrigation.
A licensed electrician must connect your Garden Master system. All electrical work must be carried out under the SAA Wiring Rules (AS 3000) and comply with the relevant local Supply Authority Rules.
● A dedicated circuit of 2.5mm conductor size is required. Active, Neutral, and Earth must run from the building switchboard to the terminal box on the Garden Master system. This circuit must be fitted with Earth leakage protection and run through a 20 A circuit breaker.
● As shown, a 1.0mm twisted twin cable is connected between the remote alarm indicator plate and the Garden Master terminal box. Place the remote indicator in a convenient location at the house (such as laundry or garage).
● The electronic control centre is mounted inside the blower cover, usually located on the top of your tank.
No, wastewater treatment system installation must be carried out by a licensed plumber and drainer.
Turf is the best type of vegetation to plant if you have subsurface irrigation. However, small shrubs should be ok providing they are at least two meters from your system.
Regarding trees, we recommend you consult with a nursery or horticulturalists as some trees can affect the moisture levels in the ground and can also affect the tank with their roots.
SERVICING & REPAIRS
This is checked during each service:
● The efficiency of the chlorinator and chlorine tablets
● Irrigation pump’s performance
● The operation of the blower
● The performance of the activated sludge process
● The condition of all pipes and hoses
● The efficiency of the irrigation spray
● The accumulation of sludge in the septic tank
The following is tested during each service:
● The high-level water alarm and low air alarm
● The clarity and pH level of the water
● The free residual chlorine level
The effective operation of your AWTS depends on getting it serviced every three months by a qualified service technician. You must never turn off the power to the system.
Avoid using strong acids, alkalis, oils and chemicals in your toilet, bathroom, laundry and kitchen (they can kill off the working bugs).
Do not connect your spa bath to the system. Use only biodegradable detergents with low phosphorus in your laundry and kitchen.
If possible, spread your washloads in stages over several days; this will avoid flooding the system with large amounts of water at one time and try to avoid using your washing machine and showers at the same time.
Do not use “anti-bacterial” products such as bleaches, commercial cleansers and hair dyes as these can interfere with the bacterial breakdown in the system. Do not flush any sanitary items down the toilet.
If you intend to be absent from your premises for a period of up to three months no action is required. Your Garden Master system should not be switched off.
The Garden Master “Elite” System is fully automatic in operation. You must get your system serviced according to the recommended schedule to ensure its continuously operating to maximum effectiveness. Your Garden Master Consultant will advise you of the service procedures and supply phone numbers for the 24-hour backup service. If your Garden Master System indicates any fault, we guarantee you will receive attention within 24 hours.